Thursday, August 27, 2009

Hablando con Extranjeros

Wow! It's been a whole week since I last wrote on this page! It wouldn't be so bad if I wrote only once a week, I suppose, but I'd like to do better than that.
Well, the topic I would like to talk about today is evangelism... but not in the way you're thinking. I realized a couple days ago that I have met someone new almost everyday since I've been in Mexico. To tell someone about GOD, all you have to do is look for opportunity. That, of course, doesn't mean that I've shared the gospel with all those people. It does, however, mean I was out of my comfort zone for every single one of those people. It's a great feeling every time you talk with someone new, knowing you have brightened their day. It's almost addicting! I don't even remember all of their names, but I know that I made a difference in each of their lives somehow, even if it was just for that day. You always run into those people who are just rude or having a bad day (I would prefer to think the latter), but I was always better off for having started a conversation.
You know hose awkward moments? You know, when your crammed into a bus with a bunch of other people? Maybe not, but those times when your not quite sure what to say? Talking actually removes the awkwardness from those moments. Unless you like awkward moments, I like it when the other people around me feel comfortable. And do you know what I've found? Talking makes it all better. Even when you don't know what to say, if you just say anything, it's better than nothing. ... I just realized that there are entire libraries written on this subject... I wonder how many people I passed by till now. How many opportunities did I have to reflect the love of Christ in an every day, normal conversation with someone I'd never met before?
I've met the vendor at the corner shop of our street. His name is Ektor. Every time I walk by there, I look in to see if he is there right behind the counter to see if I can go in and buy something to have an excuse to talk with him. I met a group at UNAM that all talk together in the mornings before class: Peter, Carl, John, Ed and Amy, Stephen, and Murry. Murry's from Ireland. Each day at class I've gotten the chance to learn a bit more about a different person in that room. First, I met Robin from Holland who also has blonde, curly hair and blue eyes. Then, I met Christina from Germany. Then I got to talk with Tomas from Chicago, Illinois. Today, I learned more about a Korean girl named Victoria and the city she is from. On Tuesday, I ate at this haurache stand across from the beisbol (baseball) field, and met Joel and Julia who were very interested in Alsaka and me being a missionary. There was also two people there listening in and occasionally asking questions. I also talked with John, a Korean banker, about other denominations and differences in culture as related with the Message. This has been an unusually talkative week.
That's not even the best part! On Sunday I met another missionary on the metro bus, and his brother-in-law. David was reading this religious pamphlet, and as I was trying to decipher it behind him, he noticed me and started speaking in perfect English! We talked till we were well past my stop, and he invited me to have lunch with them at their house. After he woke up Samuel, we talked some more on the way and I got to meet his wife, Stephanie, and mother-in-law, Luz. Seriously, I was over there for about four and a half hours, all the while talking about spiritual things about Christ and heaven and stuff. It was the most encouraging day I've ever here! Even though they didn't believe in exactly the same doctrinal things, I still felt a strong sense of kinship with them. Ephesians 4:1-17 I think matches up great with why that conversation was SO good.
Anyway, I hope you all have a good night! Ustedes tengas una buena noche!