Thursday, August 20, 2009

School of Foreigners

Today I was able to pay for the language classes at the university up here called UNAM. I had actually signed up for the classes yesterday with Pronunciation from 8-9, Basic 2 from 9-12, and then, on Mondays and Tuesdays--Salsa Dancing! It was really cool to find out that when I pay for just the Basic 2 class, I can have two other classes each day, and not have to pay more. When I left this morning to go pay for these classes there was long line, but I didn't mind: I had time. The only reason I had to pay the next day was because I forgot that I had my card with me that day, and left without looking. I got up to the front, all the while admiring the room I was in where Dance classes were to be held, and payed. But when I went over to the next station, the woman told me she couldn't enroll me because my schedule was a day late. She called another woman over who had been so helpful the day before, and I found out it wasn't valid anymore! I ended up having to re-enroll for all the classes, but by now, all the open slots for Salsa were taken. So, I lost my Salsa class but was able to salvage the truly important ones. I was really bummed...
The two times I visited UNAM this week weren't a complete waste: I was able meet six new people. I don't think I remember all their names, exactly. The two girls who were talking behind me in line were from Europe: I noticed their accents and thought that was really cool so I turned around and said, "Where are you guys from?" One, Emanuel, was from France and the other, Nikki, was from England. It was a very pleasant conversation, but it made me feel kind-of awkward when they started making fun of each others' countries. Nikki maybe in my class, but I don't know about Emanuel. Most of the people I met, though, were in much higher levels than me. One was in the most advanced class you can take, others were in basic three or four. I can't help but wonder where everybody in my class is going to be from. Last time there were two from Israel, one from India, and three more from Korea, not including Bryce and I; the two Americans.
If anyone wants to: I would always appreciate prayers for learning Spanish. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm thrilled you are keeping a blog of your adventures, Randall. Thanks for letting us know about it. Sorry you missed out on your salsa class.

    ReplyDelete