Friday, May 21, 2010

Back in the Groove

Ok, so this my first blog entry in a while as anyone who wants to read this will know. Since I've gotten back from Alaska I am happy to say that I've been pretty busy.
When I finally made it back to our apartment it was time for small group, so I put on some deodorant, put on a clean shirt, and headed out the door again with my Bibles (I always bring my English bible, too; just in case).
That was Tuesday.
Wednesday I took to rest... well, as much as I could after having a dream that made me so angry I woke up: getting over that took a while. After brownbag nothing else really happened, which is sad because one of my goals for the rest of the time I'm here is to meet someone new everyday.
Now today, on Thursday, I met not just one, not two new people, but three! The first two where a couple of guys sitting on the bench in front of the torta shop, Los Pavitos, singing traditional Mexican songs accompanied by a guitar. When they stopped playing and the thin old man was packing up his guitar, I went over and thanked them for the music and told them I really liked it. The older gentleman's name was Antonio and the other was Miguel Angel. Miguel was drunk. I didn't get the chance to chat with them, but I hope to be able to see them around and, hopefully, remember their names when I see them again.
This morning I made a list of all the things I could do today and then numbered them: #1 being the thing I wanted to do the most (playing the xbox) all the way down to the things I didn't, which means the things that would get me out of the house and interacting with people. Then I started with the items with the greatest number next to them. I think this technique will work well with my motivation: I don't know why. But the last things numbered do tend to be the most productive. So after doing some errands, I went to Sean's house to get help with making some fliers to pass out. I'm really glad Sean is my coordinator, he helps a lot! There was no way the designs could have turned out how they did without him. And then I had the best conversation of today on the way back from Sean's house with Francisco.
Francisco sells carpets and as I was passing by, one of them caught my eye and I thought, "that would be good upstairs in the loft back home." I walked over and started examining it when the guy across the street said, "they're real cheap!" in Spanish. I don't exactly want to buy something just because it's cheap, but oh well. Anyway, to make a long story short, he asked why I was here in Mexico and we started talking about the new law in Arizona. It was a good conversation I think because we both were talking and also understanding the other. We did get to talk about some spiritual things but only in general. It was funny, though, because by the time I was finished talking with him it was time to start heading to small group and I couldn't stop by the apartment. So now I'm back and it's late.
I hope these will start getting a lot better each time I write one. Writing gets better with practice, right? Also, if I write daily the things I talk about will be fresher in my memory!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Randall, writing gets better with practice, although you are doing quite well already. (a tip: paragraph breaks make reading easier)

    I'm glad you finally updated your blog. I was hoping you had not permanently abandoned it. It's nice to know how your life in Mexico is going; how God is working in your adventures.

    Keeping you in prayer. Blessings!

    (p.s. Make sure you add "write a blog post" to your list of things to do!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok! Will do! :) Thanks for the feedback: I gave it some paragraph breaks now. I'm gonna try and make this a habit and not just something I do every once in a while; just like what I said from the get go. Then, after I get back, I can continue it there (and maybe keep up on spanish by translating them for my family down in ol' Mexico!) ;)

    ReplyDelete